Sunday, October 24, 2010

Goat Cake, Hiking Mountains and Quitting Smoking

Goat Cake -

You know how some things just grab your attention the minute you hear them? Well, "Oh, you'll have to come to our wedding. There will be goat cake!" is one of them. We met Beth at our language training earlier this fall. She is from Montana and was engaged to a man from Tanzania named Deo (just like the song...' daylight come and me wanna go home...'). After a few adventures with them we were friends. Last night, we attended their wedding reception. The event was held at a very scenic lodge - lots of green foliage around and a stream running through the property. There was even a full moon last night. We arrived and were seated with the rest of the guests on Beth's side of things. One trend I have found is for Tanzanian's to really draw out the festivities! So, from 5:30-9:30 PM, we rocked out to dancing, speeches, drinks, food and of course the cutting of the cake. People were dressed very nicely - suits, dresses. I just had a white shirt and a tie (in fact I was accused of being a Jehovah's Witness earlier in the evening by some guy on the street....guess I won't dress quite that same way again...) Now, since there was a western contingency, they did have a "European Cake" - a frosted cake just like at any U.S. wedding. After they cut it and fed each other, etc... it was time for the goat cake. Now, the goat cake is a wedding tradition in Tanzania. They brought it out and it was basically a cooked goat. The only thing was the head was still attached with the horns on! The chef brought it out and cut off a few slices. Just like the other cake, Beth and Deo fed each other pieces of the goat cake symbolically serving each other in the marriage. Then, we all got to dine on the goat when we went through the reception line! It was a very welcoming and memorable night. It was an honor to be part of such an event. But, I'm not sure I'll go out of my way to try goat cake again!

Hiking the Monduli Mountains

There is a small mountain range behind our house called the Monduli Mountains. In fact, we hike a portion of them every day to get to our house. This past weekend we took some time to hike a trail into the mountains. We were joined by a new friend from Australia whose name is Matt. We basically followed a trail all the way up a valley to a waterfall which also happens to serve as our water supply to our house. We saw monkeys and evidence of elephants. On the way back we left the trail and decided to go "bushwacking it". Not a good idea. All we found was stinging nettles and ants. Overall it was beautiful up in the mountains and we hope to go back and do more hiking. Although, next time we will hopefully stay on the trail a bit more!

Quitting Smoking

A friend of ours has been trying to stop smoking. He described the feeling to us as "constantly feeling something is missing... and emptiness." Not to be too sappy, but as I was singing in church this morning, I realized that his description really summarizes what I've been feeling since we left home - an emptiness. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about friends, family and situations back home. I'm certainly not ready to come home- I don't think our work is done here. And, I'm certainly not sitting in my room clutching my pillow sobbing because I'm just so homesick (OK, I might do that one!) What I do feel is just a constant pang of emptiness where people who I love used to be. I knew it would be hard to be away from you all for so long. I just didn't realize that this emptiness would be such a constant companion. And, to be honest, I hope it doesn't subside. A smoker longs for the time when they can fill that void with something else. But, I think this longing will just remind me of things that should not be forgotten, replaced or "filled in." So, before I get too sappy here, I'll just end by saying I miss you, my friends and my family and there is a big hole that I'm waiting for you to fill when time allows. So, until then, I think I'm going to go have a smoke. (Kidding).

3 comments:

  1. Love reading about your adventures, Seth and Lisa! I pray for you and your work! And rest assured, people miss you too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed, I also love reading about your adventures and the differences in cultures. Thank you for taking the time to share - it's appreciated! And yes, we all miss you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are missing us that much- I am always looking for indications that 18 months is really only 18 months...

    ReplyDelete