Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fluffy the Land Tortoise


 

Land Tortoise

For weeks Jane and I have been joking about putting a tortoise in the school garden. I had had a dream that that involved a tortoise (don't ask!) and so it inspired us to get a tortoise. I don't think either of us thought it would happen. But, be careful what you ask for! Last night Ben came strolling in, just as casual as could be, with a tortoise under his arm! He said some kids had found it and were playing really rough with it. Ben bought it from them. Now, we have Fluffy, the land tortoise!


 

Boma Visit – this time with solar power

We have written a few times about visiting student's bomas. These trips are always enlightening and fun. The visit this past weekend was a little different! We discovered a boma with solar power! They used it to power electric lights in one house. It's just surprising to see a building made basically from sticks and mud with this kind of technology.


 

Pregnant Student

We had to dismiss a student this past week for being pregnant. It sucked. This is a common practice in Tanzania. Just to be clear, it is also illegal for the guy to get a school girl pregnant. So, if they find him, he is in big trouble too. But, for this girl, her education is done. Now, this happens in the states too, but the ramifications here are so much greater.


 

Thanksgiving

We celebrated Thanksgiving this week as best we could – we went out for grilled chicken! Thanks to our forefathers who supped with our Native American brethren and brought us this wonderful holiday. Also, thanks to our friends and family back home who wrote about the pies and meats and potatoes they were dining on. We will just stick with our chicken here and be happy campers!


 

Mustaches

All through November I have been wearing a mustache. Just to be clear, it is my own. And, it is not beautiful. In Australia (and possibly other parts of the world) there is a platform called Movember (mustaches in November) where men grow out their best Mo for the purpose of 1) looking like an idiot and 2) promoting men's prostate and mental health. I'll tell you, I feel proud to have done my part to improve men's health. I personally feel I have contributed! As Lisa can verify, this will likely not be a recurring feature on my face due to the itchiness as well as the social ridicule from Lisa!


 

Sicknesses

Despite sporting the mustache for the past month for men's health, I have battling illness for the past two weeks. I will spare everyone the gory details, but it has been relatively serious. In fact, I took my first two sick days ever of my teaching career (yesterday and today). I'm not sure what is making us sick. There are so many possible access points – water that isn't boiled thoroughly enough, food not prepared well enough or just the dirt that just surrounds our lives. Several other volunteers have also been sick recently. So, prayers for health would be greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment