Saturday, December 11, 2010

Last Day Celebration – A Rainy Success




Rain and second thoughts

We are in the "little rainy season". However, there was nothing little about the rain this week! It rained nearly every day. One day it gushed water from the sky. It was difficult to see more than 2-3 yards. We were ready to drive home and I walked to the car with my umbrella. A girl asked me to use my umbrella to walk home. She had a jacket on with the hood up, but she was still getting poured on. I said no primarily because there were other students there. How can I be fair and only give it to one student? Then, a little while later a boy came up and asked to borrow my umbrella. He did not have a rain jacket or anything. He looked truly pathetic with rain dribbling down his face. I gave the umbrella to him, asking that he share it on the walk back. Why did I give the umbrella to him and not to her? Was my decision fair? I know it's not a huge thing, but my decision really troubled me. Who knows what the right answer is in this, or any similar situation.

Last Day Celebration

Friday was our last day with the students for this term. It was also the last day for several volunteer teachers who will return home now. Even though it rained most of the day, many parents and siblings came out to for the day. We showed them the science fair, the pre-form woodworking projects, a skit and some music. It was a great last day!

Snake Park

Jane and Lisa took the pre-form students on a field trip to snake park. There they say many local snakes – most of which will kill you! They also saw crocodiles and turtles. These Maasai students are strong and tough but put them on the back of a camel for a ride and they are terrified!

Lisa's Birthday Party

We celebrated Lisa's birthday last night by having a party at our house with the staff. My personal favorite event of the evening was watching Scott and Michael (local guy) doing Indian leg wrestling on our living room floor!

Heading out for Kilimanjaro

Tomorrow we begin our 6 day ascent up Mt. Kilimanjaro. This is the tallest peak in Africa. I'm pretty excited. After we return we will travel to western Tanzania to visit friends and then up in to Uganda. We will try to journal about the experience. Your prayers for a safe journey would be appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment