Saturday, October 1, 2011

Teaching Tractors with Boxes and Blocks

ISM Track and Field

Yesterday we competed in the International School Moshi (ISM) track and field events. We took nearly 150 people which was quite an accomplishment. Efforts towards effective transport were made much more difficult due to the rain we had had the night before! I went on a small bus called a dalla-dalla until the mud made the road impassible. The driver kept saying "I have no four wheel." I thought he was saying "I have no oil." I was less than sympathetic! You idiot…why didn't you put oil in the darn thing! Ah, language… Anyway, with some pushing, some walking in the mud, some laughing and some cursing, we were able to get everyone loaded and off to the event. One boy was nearly left! He came running up, dripping with sweat, just as we were about to load the busses. "Good morning, sir!" he chimed! I love this kid!

We arrived about ½ an hour late (not bad considering the mud bogging bus event) and competed well all day. Our kids, who walk a long way to and from school, have no problems in the distance competitions. They easily win the 1500, 800, 400 and any race that requires some endurance. Shot and discuss and some of the short distance races are more difficult, though, given the size of some of our kids. I can remember sitting in Mr. Parsons' biology class learning about fast twitch and slow twitch muscles. Turns out, our kids have great slow twitch muscles! We were 4th for the day which was a little disappointing. But, I think the kids enjoyed the event and we were able to bring home two trophies for winning some divisions. Not bad for a Saturday in Arusha.

On the dalla-dalla ride in, I sat next to some boys who were singing. Sometimes our kids, just like kids everywhere sing loud obnoxious songs. These guys were just singing some Maasai songs…not trying to draw attention at all. Pretty soon, a few more students joined in, then more, then the parents. Soon, the whole bus was singing. But, not trying to draw attention to themselves…just singing! I can't tell you how cool it was. After the stresses of the morning and the general stresses of the week, I felt like I was being blessed with an incredible gift. I don't know where these songs came from, or even what they were saying. I just knew this was one of those moments where I have to say to myself "stop and pay attention to this bud because this is a good one." And it was.

Phone Calls that Never Quite Work Out    

I get so excited when someone calls me or I get to call someone from home! Yesterday my sister Sara called. We talked for about 10 minutes. Then, just as I was hearing the final dramatic conclusion to what happened to Alice the cat, click…the phone lost connection. ARGH! Communication is tough enough (see the dalla-dalla story above for example!) even with the best of devices! Sometime over the next year I am hoping to discover a really great way to stay in touch with family and friends! I don't know…maybe message in a bottle…anyone tried that one in a while?

Teaching Tractors with Boxes and Blocks

Form 3 agriculture has been learning about tractor parts and operations. It's been fun! I do wish for a real tractor. Since we don't have one, I've had to improvise. So, on Friday we quickly built the "Maasai Furgeson 8880" in their classroom using a box as the engine block, a pencil as the dip stick, a cup as the radiator cap, a surge protector as the battery and wooden blocks as the pedals. We did have a real tire too. I thought the students would just groan over how ridiculous it was (because it was pretty ridiculous!) But instead they asked great questions and acted really interested! We even did a driving lesson with a couple of them…using a stick as the gear shifter!

Goodbye to Robert for a While

On Monday this past week we said goodbye to our principal Robert. He is leaving for a few months to get his Masters degree in international development. We had a ceremony and gave him some gifts. Robert has been a really important piece in community relations. It will be difficult without him here…but he'll be a stronger leader when he returns!

Goodbye to Francis

We also said goodbye to a student worker named Francis on Friday. He's been with us for over a month helping teach math and chemistry. He's studying to be a medical doctor. When we asked him if he had anything to say to the students he said "I hope when I come back you will tell me that you are now in Form 3 and Form 4… not 'Here is my husband or here is my wife'." I was really impressed by this young man and he'll be sorely missed!

Goodbye to Peter for a While

We will also be losing Peter for a while as he is back in the US raising funds for the school. Peter brings a lot of energy and vitality to the school. Thankfully he'll be back in a short time!

Hello Jeff, Kim and Laura

And of course THE NELSONS ARRIVE ON TUESDAY! This is really exciting to have Lisa's family coming for a 10 day visit! We have a break the week after next. So, Jeff, Kim and Laura will visit the school, students and Monduli for the first few days. Then, I think we'll head to Lake Manyara and the Serengetti for a few days. They are in for an adventure!

Sweet, Glorious Rain

Last night I woke up to the sound of pounding rain. It was one of those noises that was really out of place. The rains have been all out of sorts lately. It's really dry right now. But, I didn't expect it to start raining for another month. Peter has been predicting the rains to come in the first part of October for a long time. When something is truly needed (i.e. water) the sound the that thing becomes really sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment